To build apps, you need a stack of different technologies. The market for web and mobile apps is expanding every day. There is always a buzz about choosing the best stack for custom app development.
At present, software programs must have a robust infrastructure to sustain in a volatile environment. And developers are responsible for choosing the right stack for maximum scalability, performance, and flexibility. It is very crucial that you understand what a stack is and how it can bring a world of opportunities when deployed to your project.
To make that right decision, developers must have clarity about the features of stacks, cost-effectiveness, and other related benefits.
What Do You Mean by Stack?
By a technology stack, we refer to a combination of compatible technologies and programming languages.
Development stacks are generally of two types – technology stack and application stack. The former is a cross-disciplinary term in the process of software development.
Agile development is gaining wide-spread popularity and enterprises need to have the best of technological infrastructures to utilize its full potential and maximize ROI.
How to Choose the Right Stack?
Before choosing your stack, consider these questions:
- What are your project requirements?
- Do you want agility?
- Do you want to exceed beyond project requirements to get a better audience?
- Is your team/company knowledgeable and expert in this field?
- Is your development team scalable and flexible?
- What is the final cost of development?
In 2021 based on the answers to the above questions, the most probable options are Full-Stack vs MEAN Stack vs MERN Stack.
Let’s delve a little more deeply into each one of them.
Full-stack comprises four critical software solutions:
IV. Mobile app
Traditionally, companies hire experienced people in one of the departments. However, as modern workplaces evolve, the demand for skilled candidates in additional technologies also increases. Some of the key competencies are given below:
- Backend : Python, PHP, NodeJS, ExpressJS, GO, Caching, Django, Middleware, etc.
- Database : Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, SQLite, Clusters etc.
- Mobile Apps : iOS and Android
- DevOps : CI/CD pipelines, Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) creation
Typically, full-stack web developer is responsible for managing the project design structure. Based on the project requirements, the developer may switch development roles. Moreover, since developers are technically knowledgeable, they can quickly identify errors and offer solutions across different web architecture streams. As a result, full stack developers are the right choice for small and mid-sized enterprises working in a compartmentalized way.
- Easy to switch between frontend and backend development depending on the project requirement
- Oversee design infrastructure of the project and work on the required level during development
- Save cost by hiring a full-stack developer instead of dedicated frontend and backend experts
- Easy to upgrade with the latest tools and technology
- Flexibility to move from one task to another as per project requirement
- The best option for small and medium enterprises
MEAN Stack Development
MEAN Stack is widely accepted across industries, and developers are in demand. The developers enjoy the benefits of several compatible time optimization tools for system administration. MEAN Stack developers also make sure web apps, websites, and APIs are deployed easily and solve complex development challenges.
MEAN Stack Components
- MongoDB: Document-based NoSQL database used for data storage in the form of JSON files
- Express.js: Back-end web app that runs on Node.js
- Angular: Front-end web framework that runs JS code in user’s browser
- Node.js: It is a JS runtime environment to implement backend application in JS
MEAN Stack Benefits
- Model View Controller (MVC) architecture support for a smooth process of development
- Resists redundant grunt work to keep web app development organized
- Get the best of MongoDB, Angular JS, Node.JS, and Express.JS – 4 exceptional technologies
- A built-in extensive tool testing suite
- An open-source framework backed by excellent community support
MERN Stack Development
It comprises several open-source components such as MongoDB, React, Node.js, and Express.js. These components help provide end-to-end framework support to developers.
MERN Stack is fast becoming popular, and it is a powerful technology to use. MERN Stack comprises of the technologies like:
- MongoDB: It is an open-source, document-based database
- Express.js: It is a fast and minimalist web framework used for Node.js
There are many similarities between the MEAN stack and the MERN stack. However, the only difference is that while the MEAN stack uses Angular for building frontend web apps, the MERN stack uses React instead.
MERN Stack Benefits
- Covers complete web development cycle from frontend to backend with JS
- Supports MVC architecture for a smooth development process
- Combination of the best technologies – MongoDB, React, Node.js and Express.js
- as an extensive built-in suite to test tools
- It is an open-source framework backed by community support
Factors Affecting Your Decision
The main difference between MEAN and MERN Stack is that the former uses Angular, whereas the latter uses React JS.
Angular JS offers greater stability to the platform to maintain abstraction in the code and manage project files. ReactJS, on the other hand, allows code development on a rapid scale.
Now, let’s look at a broader perspective:
- Enterprise-level Projects: Do you want to build an enterprise-level app such as LinkedIn? In that case, you must maintain a complete architecture. That is the reason why MEAN stack is more preferred. It gives an organized framework that supports MVC architecture. Even though MERN backs MVC design, only MEAN makes it easier to manage the coding and upgrade.
- UI Essentials: If you are looking for a sophisticated UI yet simple enough to render an app, go for the MERN framework. It generates a frame to display on the screen and ensure seamless user interaction.
- Third-party Support: MEAN uses Angular that comes with a default feature to support both HTTP calls and connect to the backend. On the contrary, React uses its libraries that bring in similar functionality. MEAN also looks after third-party extensions, while MERN needs additional configuration.
- Large-scale Apps: MEAN stack is a perfect choice for any eCommerce based project. It acts as the backbone of all dynamic web apps and introduces a systematic method to create prototypes. MEAN Stack is also suited for full-stack development frameworks and large-scale projects.
- Niche Projects: MERN stack has the capability to allow developers to build and deploy apps right from groud-zero. React makes it easier to handle rapid data changes while delivering a brilliant user interface. MERN is best for smaller sample projects, be it single-page apps or mobile apps.
Hence, no framework is the perfect answer to all business objectives. You must research all the features, match them with the rapid development requirements, and choose diligently.
There’s no perfect stack in the web development business. To choose the best stack, you must understand the needs of the project and your ideal budget. An expert full stack developer can play a crucial role in building an application for you. You may consult a custom software development company to advise you on choosing the best MEAN stack developer or MERN stack developer and help it align with your business goals.