Ready to embark on its 2020 journey, the world suddenly woke up to a virus outbreak, which soon acquired its identity as COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, the countries across the globe were pushed into the phase of transition from normalcy to disorder fueled by lockdowns, spiking mortality rates, and economic turmoil. As we march towards mid-2020, the questions have begun to surface about how the world is going to be once the dust settles down.
Amidst the ongoing havoc, one thing that denied bowing down, rather which emerged as one of the biggest support systems, is the technology. From online grocery shopping to digital classrooms to work-from-home setups, the software tools and IT kept the world going. It also hints at how technology would play an even more vital role in the future.
Let’s divide the world into three phases on the basis of how well we understood the importance of technology:
- A majority of business organizations either failed to adopt digital transformation or followed a lethargic pace to accomplish it.
- Many of those who did either followed the old schools of software development or continued sticking to the heritage software setups.
- On the bright side, a number of businesses embraced the technology shift, thereby ensuring growth for themselves and rich experiences for their customers.
- The concepts like software development outsourcing were ignored by many, and IT spending budgets were either unplanned or not adhered to.
- In this continuing phase of the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses that swam along the technology tide are somewhat able to manage their operations, employees, customers, and assets.
- The software development industry is experiencing its share of losses. According to a report, the UK IT industry has already experienced a dip of 28% in software development.
- At the same time, eCommerce and the related segments like education technology, healthcare technology, gaming, and OTT platforms as well as financial technology have come out as winners during these testing times.
- Many businesses are struggling to keep pace with the growing demand of their customers who want to be served digitally. The reasons being their ill preparations to be available online at the right time.
- The importance of remote and virtual work-from-home options, as well as outsourcing for software development, is being realized. According to a survey by NTT, 45% of the respondents acknowledged outsourcing (being reinvented as smart sourcing) as their action plan for the upcoming months.
- The mistakes of the pre-COVID era and realizations of the COVID era would set challenges for businesses to adopt a brand new approach to software development.
- One of these challenges would be to invest in the latest software development methodologies to deliver solutions faster.
- Businesses should be willing to invest in software tools to offer their employees security and draw maximum productivity out of them.
- Another challenge would be to meet customer demands through software interfaces that are easy to use and can handle the dramatic numbers of users simultaneously.
Here’s a quick video to understand the Software Development Trends amidst Covid-19
So, what trends and approaches should businesses and software developers collectively start adopting right now? Which of these trends has already created the right buzz and has gained widespread acceptance? Let’s highlight some of them.
1. Shift from Waterfall to Agile to DevOps Development Methodology
The invention of the agile software development approach in the early 2000s challenged the traditional waterfall mode by accelerating the development speed and ensuring a better quality of the final product. In recent times, DevOps have taken things to a level higher by promising continuous delivery and automation at every stage.
One of the biggest advantages of the modern methodologies is the ability to introduce software updates with ease and without causing any hassles to the end-users. That’s what the customers need today that the software systems they use must comply with the changing needs and unanticipated situations like pandemics.
2. Deploy a Clever and Result-oriented Cloud Strategy
Move to the cloud! That’s what you might have been hearing but not paying much heed to. Beginning in March 2020, when COVID-19 started strengthening its grip on the world, enterprises are more willing than over to migrate to the cloud. The advantages of cloud computing offers are much more apparent during these tough times.
One of them is controlling the IT infrastructural and operations costs, the other being the flexibility to scale up and down the cloud usage as per your precise needs. For instance, the ecommerce and e-retailers which operate on cloud acknowledged that they were able to meet the sudden surge in demand due to lockdowns because of the ability to scale their resources on the cloud.
3. Switch to Software Environments Catering to Modern Needs
According to a report, the software category of telemedicine experienced a growth of 616% in the week from March 24 to March 30. Similar growth rates were recorded in the categories like web conferencing (445%) and remote desktop (242%). Clearly, the businesses and consumers are expected to continue using these systems, even post-COVID-19 phase.
Why? These systems were already gaining popularity across the globe before the virus outbreak. Though their adoption was not at such a dramatic pace. Now that people are confined inside their houses, they obviously want online medical consultations and virtual project collaborations for safety. And the level of convenience these systems promise, they may become choices forever for most of them.
4. Make Wise Software Developer Hiring Decisions
Were you still relying on in-house recruitments for software development? If yes, that must have been costly, time-consuming, and at times, unrewarding. And, during the COVID-19 phase, the decision must have produced some extremely daunting results. Social distancing being a major concern, must have enforced your business to halt the development process for an indefinite time.
Wasn’t it a big blow to your already bad situation? On top of that, the choice to either let them go or continue bearing their costs must have been a difficult one. Software development outsourcing has been a concept that was, is, and would always be in your favor. It is beneficial, especially when the dedicated development teams have arrangements to work remotely with the possible disruptions like the current ones.
To make a stronger point in favor of outsourcing software development, a report indicates that about 37% and 38% of the software developers are respectively concerned about their physical and mental health. It also indicates that many of them prefer working remotely, even if it means a cut in their salaries.
5. Match Development Speed with Development Costs
Now, isn’t it obvious? In these times, when businesses are struggling to manage their finances while keeping the performances and profits up, they definitely want solutions to be delivered fast and within low budgets. That surely is possible if you pay attention to the development trends that exist for long, but failed to get your attention.
One good example is that of low-code application development, which, according to a report by Gartner, is estimated to support 65% of the development processes by the year 2024. The strategy reduces the development time from months to weeks, thereby ensuring faster time to market.
Open-source software development is another concept that has proved its benefits like low-cost development and fast delivery during the present circumstances. If you take out time to do a simple search on Google, a number of coronavirus- tracking apps have been developed in no time using this trend.
6. Improve the Customer-Centric Approach while Developing Software
There’s no denying of the fact that the pandemic and its resulting effects like lockdowns have brought more people online to carry on with their routine activities. However, many of them are new to the digital landscape and hope the user interfaces to be absolutely friendly and within their learning abilities. By fulfilling these requirements, you can actually leverage the sudden presence of these newcomers online.
Another area in which you can improve your customer support is through the development of chatbots. In the absence of human customer care executives, these technology-based representatives can be put to work for answering customer calls and resolving their queries. In short, there is a need to improve in a way that the software systems you develop serve your customers better during and after the COVID-19 era.
7. Better Preparations for Managing Floods of Data
Big Data was already making a buzz even before the world was struck by the coronavirus. With an increased level of online activities, large volumes of data are what most of the business organizations struggling to deal with. One relevant example is that of medical organizations with loads of COVID-19 testing and patient data emerging as a challenge with every single passing day.
So, data management using the right kind of software support, cloud storage, and intelligent analytics is what the need of the hour is. For this, businesses need to be thoughtful in deciding which data needs to be preserved and which can be discarded to save storage resources and costs. And, the right kind of approach needs to be adopted for present as well as future so that no critical data is lost.
At the same time, there is a need to be more alert in protecting the data (business data as well as customer data) against the possible threats. The risks like phishing, malicious activities, and others have increased with enhanced online business-customer dealing. The developers need to come out with more secure solutions.
If you think deeply, the challenges, and trends of software development amidst COVID-19 are nothing alien. Even by carefully working on them during normal times, you can actually add a lot of value to your digital presence. As a custom software development company, we at Radixweb have consistently helped out our clients in figuring out a way through difficult times with the help of technology and enabling a hassle free digital transformation.
Forward business challenges like continuity, scalability can resolve with Smart Automation. Connect with us to develop future ready software application for your biz