In recent years, many industrial verticals have adopted automation to enhance operational efficiency and reduce human error. Modern technologies like RPA (Robotic Process Automation) and AI (Artificial Intelligence) have made intelligent automation a reality for every industry where any tasks can be performed seamlessly without any hardcoding.
On the other hand, industrial automation is siloed – it’s applied to specific elements of the business rather than being used holistically across the organization. The primary key to expanding automation across your business is Hyperautomation.
With an increasing number of organizations adopting a more “people-centric” approach, hyperautomation is being pushed ahead.
So, Hyperautomation is the next-level process of automation. But here comes the real question – what exactly is hyperautomation, though?
Table of Contents
- What is Hyperautomation?
- Why is Hyperautomation Growing Rapidly?
- Why Hyperautomation is Important?
- Automation vs Hyperautomation: What is the Difference?
- The Evaluation of Industrial IoT (IIoT) Market
- Steps to Start Hyperautomation
- Advantages of Hyperautomation
- Challenges of Hyperautomation
What is Hyperautomation?
Gartner listed Hyperautomation term on the number one spot in technology trends 2020. After the listing, hyper automation technology has become a talk of the time. It boosts automation and digital transformation in every organization with applications of automation technologies like RPA, machine learning, process mining, Intelligent Business Management Software (iBPS), and many more. It actually automates the business processes and virtual tasks, which breaks down data silos.
As per Gartner, hyperautomation is the merger of several advanced technological tools like AI, RPA, and Intelligent Business Management Software (iBPS), implementing technologies and tools. The primary goal to automate business processes is to reduce cost and time, focus on important works, increase efficiency, optimize decision-making, and avoid human errors.
Hyperautomation is an unavoidable market state in which organizations must rapidly identify and automate all possible business processes. – Gartner
In a nutshell, hyperautomation is an extended process of traditional business-process automation. However, it will surely open many doors of opportunities on the technology stack in the coming years. Hyper automation technology lets you detect and generate automation processes, taking your organizations to the next level.
Here, industrial organizations need to maintain transparency across their whole business operations to implement hyperautomation successfully. Moreover, you can fetch and monitor data from plants, products, and processes, enabling this visibility level with industrial IoT solutions.
Gartner: Hyperautomation is a disciplined, business-driven approach to rapidly identify, vet and automate as many business and IT processes as possible.
— Vala Afshar (@ValaAfshar) December 13, 2021
You can also build applications and advanced features on top of your industrial IoT solutions, allowing you to constantly automate different areas of your organization. Even if your business has transformed to Industry 4.0 verticals, hyperautomation can help you process data to offer real-time outputs as well as insights.
Apart from ML and AI, there are other tools, technologies, and platforms used for hyperautomation as mentioned below:
- Task mining and process mining tools are required to identify and prioritize automation opportunities.
- Building automation efforts and expenditures can be reduced by using automation development technologies. RPA, low-code/no-code development platforms, integration of iPaaS, and workload automation tools are among them.
- Business logic tools like intelligent business process management, business rules management and decision management make adapting and reusing automation easier.
- Machine Learning and AI tools to expand the automation capabilities. These tools include Optical Character Recognition (OCR), machine vision, virtual agents, chatbots, and Natural Language Processing (NLP).
By implementing the below methods, hyper automation can help organizations enhance their business and unlock potential.
- Artificial intelligence usage (hyper AI)
- Unleashing many opportunities for automation
- Using workforce engagement capabilities
- Advanced analytics accessibility for ROI
Why is Hyperautomation Growing Rapidly?
The hyper automation term gained its popularity at the end of 2019. However, the term created by Gartner generally doesn’t long last anymore. Do you want to hear a weird story?
Well, Gartner actually came up with a term like AI-based Accounts Payable Invoice Automation (APIA). Isn’t it difficult to pronounce and understand? It certainly is, let alone the weird part!
However, hyper-automation has gained a lot of attention as the UiPath vendor chose it for the implementation. It has become popular due to several factors, such as:
- Simple and short
- Something that companies would like to follow
- Vague so that any organization can leverage it. Here, many automation tools are part of hyperautomation.
Why is Hyperautomation Important?
Every company is frustrated with the current progress in automation efforts. However, implementing hyperautomation in the organization significantly impacts its process.
Gartner (without providing any quantitative support) states that by 2024, organizations will reduce overall operational costs by 30% by merging hyper automation technology with enhanced operational processes. Although the number is most likely wrong, there is little doubt that automating operational decision-making will significantly impact and prioritize businesses.
Traditional, product-based automation approaches with limited machine learning dependency have failed to produce considerable benefits due to several issues:
- Even in rules-based procedures, process complexity has hampered automation initiatives.
- Employees have not embraced an environment where they look for automation and experiment with new technology quickly.
- The majority of efforts did not rely on developing bespoke machine learning models, which limited the range of applications.
As a result of all of this, businesses are looking for new approaches.
Automation vs Hyperautomation: What is the Difference?
Now, you must be wondering, how is hyperautomation different from automation? Allow us to shed some light on that.
Automation is the process that occurs inside computer devices. It should not be mixed up with the automation that occurs when robots are used. The automation in computers is divided into RAP and Automation Testing.
Although these two automation types serve different purposes, they both deliver the same benefit to the users: they allow processes to be completed more quickly. However, with the help of an expert IT automation partner like Radixweb, your organization can stay focused on core business factors by infusing automation to modernize IT.
So, finally, to make you understand the difference between automation and hyper automation, let’s compare several parameters in the given table.
|Technologies||Automation tools||Several Machine Learning, packaged hyperautomation software and automation tools|
|Sophistication of Technology||Tasked-oriented automation and RPA||Sophisticated AI-based process automation|
|Degree of Coverage||Wherever it is relevant||All-encompassing|
|Output||Efficient operations||Smart and efficient operations|
|Scope||Performed on a single platform||Performed through an ecosystem of technologies, systems, and platforms|
The Evolution of Industrial IoT (IIoT) Market
IIoT empowers IoT with business intelligence, operational efficiency, and enhances unconventional growth. Data generated by the Internet of Things grows exponentially quicker than data stored in a standard cloud environment. Hence, the sheer volume of data can justify the growth and acceleration.
Image source: https://iotnews.asia/
Furthermore, data transfer problems (delay and bandwidth) arise in the cloud as the destination; thus, transformation speed is the primary concern. As a solution to the inefficiency of IIoT to Cloud architecture, this edge is required. Therefore, IIoT is a step ahead of the business-driven IT landscape.
Steps to Start Hyperautomation
You can consider the given steps to start your business journey with hyperautomation.
Obtain Information about Processes
Process mining can be used to learn how existing processes function, discover gaps and bottlenecks in current systems and identify areas that can benefit from digital automation.
Then you should find out both structured and unstructured data as well as other inputs that can assist you in automating procedures.
Predict Possible Outcomes
After identifying data, you can predict the outcomes in terms of ROI and efficiency.
Identify Automation Platform
You need to figure out which automation platform will be suitable for your requirements. If you use any algorithms and tools, you can even use that.
Implement Automation for Complex Business Processes
Now is the time to automate complex business activities and tasks. To become even more efficient, don’t rule out further automating present automated technology.
Utilize AI Tool
Make use of AI-powered technologies to complete all tasks. Cognitive learning and natural language processing technologies may be useful in this situation.
Advantages of Hyperautomation
As we know, hyper automation technology enhances the capabilities of automation by leveraging RPA and other advanced technologies. Hence, organizations can leverage the following benefits with such integration:
Enhances Business Agility
Business agility refers to a company’s ability to adjust to changing environment. An organization can ensure that it can scale in response to new requirements and demands with hyperautomation implementation.
Intelligent automation solutions can make it easier for organizations to adjust and adapt to rapidly growing markets.
Strengthens Team Bond and Improves Productivity
Hyperautomation allows businesses to connect people with the trending technologies and tools they use on a regular basis. The innovative transformation that businesses will undergo due to this approach will stimulate processes from all departments.
That’s why it becomes easier for users to collaborate with the merger of hyperautomation software, RPA, and other intelligent tools.
Enhances Work Automation and Automates Processes
Organizations can automate repetitive tasks with RPA to simplify their employees’ tasks, but hyper automation technology goes beyond that. You can use hyperautomation to extend the automation process in your business by combining multiple technologies, tools, and components. This not only makes current tasks easier, but it also allows you to work more efficiently.
Better Employee Engagement and Satisfaction
Hyperautomation enhances work quality with advanced technologies that make manual work less difficult to complete. However, you can achieve employee satisfaction with improved automation. The strategy also requires everyone to participate in the digital transformation, boosting employee engagement.
The ultimate goal of every transformation is to improve the organization’s bottom line. Therefore, hyperautomation can significantly enhance a company’s ROI.
Challenges of Hyperautomation
Hyperautomation technologies may complement each other. For example, RPA bots can help legacy systems integrate with other technologies. However, due to the limitations of these technologies and organizational challenges, there are still substantial challenges, which are directed below:
Challenges in AI Automation
- Training data may not be available or contain personal information: When you share personal data with AI companies, you put data privacy at risk, but you can’t build everything yourself. As a result, businesses should invest in data masking, a part of privacy-enhancing technologies.
- Consumes a lot of time to create training data: In this situation, synthetic data can help speed up the development of training data.
- Edge cases: There will be times when humans must intervene in any complex operation that is automated using machine learning.
- Biases AI systems: AI systems are embedded in the algorithm via prejudiced assumptions or in the training data.
Challenges in Process Simplification
- Lack of understanding of processes: The majority of processes are not properly documented. Although process mining technologies can assist organizations in better understanding processes that rely on log files, critical process information, such as call content, is difficult to evaluate, creating obstacles.
- Customer-specific requirements: Every customer satisfaction reduces maintainability and increases process complexity in order to provide customer solutions. Therefore, organizations must maintain a balance between process simplicity and customer satisfaction. A customer with extremely complicated requirements might not be the best candidate for an advanced process that serves many other customers.
Challenges in Organizations
- Slow automation: Most slow automation adoption incidents are due to fear of potential errors and inertia. Employees should be given the authority to conduct experiments on sandboxes and digital twins to immediately assess the limitations and impact of future automation technologies.
Hyperautomation can be a plus point to your organization and bring many opportunities if you implement it correctly. As we know, it incorporates many modern technologies to automate a wide range of activities for any industry. With the increasing popularity of hyperautomation, organizations must begin implementing it to avoid being left behind.
For those who have already embraced the method, their goal is to stay ahead of the game by continuing to evaluate existing procedures and ensuring that the existing tool is still adequate.
In this competitive environment, you will have to remind your team to leverage modern tools and implement them most effectively. As a result, you should adopt hyper automation software and technologies that can be merged and so your team can work together towards a common goal.
If you are looking for an experienced software development solution provider who can help you analyze the technical gaps in your system, Radixweb brings suitable solutions for you. We provide fantastic business process automation solutions with RPA tools to reduce operational effort and costs.
Connect with our experts to know how your organization can leverage benefits hyper automation technology.