In today’s universe of endless applications, it’s not good enough to deliver an app. In 2016, Apple eliminated 50,000 obsolete apps from its App Store.
Almost anyone can get into mobile app development that would not last for six months. With advanced technology and fierce competition, it is crucial to meet the standards and keep the app updated to make sure users enjoy it instead of abandoning it.
Investing in an excellent mobile app maintenance plan saves the app’s purpose and prevents it from becoming obsolete.
Why Do Mobile Apps Need Constant Updates?
Will you think or even consider downloading an app that was updated some months ago? With mobile app development, you certainly want to stay in business for the long haul. For that, make sure your app is relevant and updated continuously to meet users’ ever-changing needs. Today the users keep checking out the latest updates on the app store.
The frequency of updating apps depends mostly on the features released. However, it is usually every month.
Here are a few reasons why all your apps must have a mobile app maintenance plan:
- To Follow New Trends: Latest trends flock to the market every single day. People appreciate new products and better services. One of the significant benefits of adding new features to the apps is to provide recent changes and fix bugs. The only way to keep your users happy is to update the app to its latest version.
- Open Ways to Renovate: Nothing is permanent in this technological era. Everything is moving very fast and transforming rapidly. To ensure an application succeeds, you have to eliminate unnecessary features and functions, free up required space, and make room for new updates. Consider this; 71% of users uninstall unnecessary apps in 90 days of installation because they do not find anything exciting or new. A useful app of yesterday may not satisfy the user today. In this cutthroat competitive market, you wouldn’t want to lag.
- Maintain Rapport: Android and iOS app users always check for new updates, especially frequent users. They would not want any surprises like delay in fixing a problem or functionality losses. They prefer a stable app with improved releases. If you are not updating the app, it may lose regular users as well as newcomers. Apps with sparse updates are seldom taken seriously.
- Modify the Mobile Strategy: Insightful app analytics is crucial for app maintenance. You should update the app for two reasons – practical purposes (functions and corrections) and strategic purposes (improved marketing and trending). You have to think strategically to make the maximum out of an upgrade. Keep a check on the statistics and trends to expand the capabilities of your app. This would help you update the app to the best of your advantage and modify the strategy to align with necessary alternations.
- Better User Experience: Continuous maintenance is necessary to improve the user experience of an app. Regular updates indicate that you care for your customers and their experience. Moreover, constant improvements add a positive vibe to the app rating across app stores, ratings, reviews, and overall experience. If the app is dynamically developing, your downloads would not belong. As a result, investments would yield expected results and a reasonable ROI.
Did you know that mobile apps are predicted to generate around 935 dollars through paid downloads and in-app ads in 2023? Click To Tweet
How Often Should the App Be Updated?
Honestly, consumers are highly demanding. Developing an app and launching it is just the beginning of a long-term journey. As a result, expectations from the app market is skyrocketing. You can hire dedicated developers to update the app periodically, as in:
- Regular App Updates: It works as per the schedule and provides significant modifications and innovations
- App Bug Fixes and Innovative Features: These updates respond to any errors and malfunctions quickly
- Choose to Update: It means developers can choose to release updates they want irrespective of the schedule
According to Instabug research, the 100 highest-grossing apps release updates every 14 days. In another Appbot study, it was found that the 200 highest free apps were updated every 18 days.
The frequency of updating an app depends entirely on the business targets and the functionality of the app. Let’s say a free app should be updated in 20 to 25 days to monetize it through paid premium features, providing ads, and in-app purchases. You can frequently expand the functionality of an app to improve it.
Have questions? Our team of experts can address every critical aspect of your app business. Let’s talk!
Top Reasons to Update an App Frequently
#1: To Fix Bugs
Apps are not immune to mistakes. Regardless of how well a mobile app development company has built it, bugs may appear in any stage of mobile app development. It is most likely when you rush to release the app.
However, there is a positive thing about bugs – you can find them and correct them. If you don’t make the necessary modifications in time, you may end up losing customers.
#2: Release New App Features and Updates
People are excited about new products, updates, and features. Updating the legacy features or adding new features to please users. It is an indication that you still exist and you are working on the apps that require updates. It would also ensure you could keep up with the other competitive apps. Ensure you follow the latest trends, find app updates frequently, have a consistent approach, and be flexible.
#3: Improve User Experience
Content is the heart and soul of an application. However, do not ignore the cover. Design is critical because it creates the first impression in users’ minds as soon as they encounter your app. Consider the following reasons for updating, modifying, and improving overall UI/UX:
- App stores have regular guidelines released concerning the design. You should adhere to the latest guidelines and make changes to the UI/UX according to the updated requirements
- Ensure the app design does not contain every single new update mentioned. Adjust the app at par with the latest trends
- The app design should be simple, understandable, and easy to access. If not, users would not know how to use it
- Update the app in alignment with the present branding to avoid misleading users
- Release frequent OS system updates under Android and iOS. If you ignore the OS requirements and updates, it may slow down the performance of your app
- Users are advisers and helpers when you need them the most. With proper user feedback and tracking, you can add necessary functions as required. Collect their wishes, get reviews, conduct polls, and listen to what they have to say about the app. A social platform is an excellent tool for this. You can check app reviews similar to your app and understand the areas you should focus on and where you should not.
Cost of App Updates
Usually, mobile app development is expensive, and so are its updates. It turns out to be costly when you have an in-house app development team, especially when you factor in mobile app developers’ and testers’ monthly salaries. As a result, businesses may find it cost-effective to hire or outsource mobile app maintenance services to external partners.
Usually, development partners are equipped with a skilled and functional team updated with the newest changes. Nevertheless, companies should have useful insights when the budget is concerned because it is crucial to evaluate the cost of maintaining an app.
As per industry norms, the cost of maintaining an application is 15 to 20 percent of the cost of mobile app development.
Surprisingly, most of the app features built for its debut are never used. Instead, it would be best to create a simple app and make room for further development based on users’ needs. Always begin with a lighter version of your app and gradually build some useful features.
Updates dictate the lifespan of an app. If you wish to add more new users while retaining the existing users, do an app bug fix in due time, and take an interest in your customer feedback. Mobile app maintenance services understand that. The frequency of app updates depends on the business target, dynamics of app development, and the market’s tone. Radixweb has a long track of delivering consistent and high-quality mobile app development services to various clients. We can make sure that your app meets its goals, maintains a happy customer base, and updates regularly.